After all they are often crowded with gawking tourists taking cheesy photographs of themselves pretending to carry the Taj Mahal in their palm or stopping the leaning Tower of Pisa from tumbling down…
I remember what Andara, my concierge in Bali told me about spots that are normally heaving with tourists:
The most beautiful places often have tons of tourists because they are most beautiful places.
And that is why.
So I strive to visit must-see sights not because I want to wear the dome of the Taj Mahal as a hat or replace my head as atop a broken Buddha statue (I saw a couple of blonde jokers do this recently at Borobudur…) but because they inspire me with their beauty, their resilience and their timelessness. For most if not all of this places, there is a spirit (if not spirituality) that tells a story of how human beings have the power to create from nothing.
Here is a short list of the UNESCO sites I have visited so far (with and without Keyaan and Leonard) and this, I promise, will grow:
1. Australia: the Sydney Opera House
2. France: Paris, Banks of the Seine
Dobbes was 6-months old then…
3. India: Taj Mahal in Agra
4. India: Qutab Minar in Delhi
This is the quiet path beside the Qutab…
5. India: Red Fort Complex, Central Delhi
Dobbes romps onsite…
6. Indonesia: Borobudur Temple Compounds, Magelang (Central Java)
I cannot imagine that this massive temple was once completely buried!
Unfortunately, I did not have Mobbes and Dobbes with me when I visited..
7. Indonesia: Prambanan Temple Compounds, Yogyakarta.
Also did not have the other two Ows here…
A relic that is still re-building…
8. Italy: Historic centre of Rome (with friends, pre-Ow)
9. Italy: Historic centre of Florence (with friends, pre-Ow)
10. Malaysia: Melaka (with family and friends, pre-Ow)
11. U.S.A : Statue of Liberty (alone, pre-Ow)
Next moth, Travelling in Threes will be adding more to this list when we visit the Forbidden City, Summer Palace and the Great Wall in China.
So. that makes it 11 down and 900 more to go.
Life is great.
To see the entire list of places, visit: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list